Needless to say, the healthiest tanning option is the one that doesn’t involve the sun or a tanning bed. However, since summertime is the time for laying back on the beach, swimming or surfing, playing beach volleyball and other fun activities under the sun, some healthy tanning tips are in order. Since your skin is the first that gets hit by the sun, it should be first on your priority list when you go out as well. Therefore, here are some healthy tanning tips to get that olive colored, glowing skin that you have been longing for:
- Use products to exfoliate your skin before you expose yourself for the first time in the sun. By removing the dead skin cells that cover your body, the tan you gain will last a bit longer. Furthermore, before exposing yourself make sure you have cleaned your skin from any beauty products because they increase the chance of getting a sunburn.
- Tanning sessions should last no more than 15 minutes a day. Moreover, the tanning sessions should be about 3 days apart, which could represent an inconvenience since the process will obviously be a long one, but a healthy tan is better than a nasty sunburn.
- Use sunscreen on every bit of exposed skin, preferably with moisturizers. Do not rub it in completely, but leave traces that can be seen in order to provide extra protections. Don’t forget to reapply it every time you sweat or swim.
- The morning sun rays are less harmful, so wake up early for your tanning session. From sunrise to about 10:30, tanning under the sun is safer than in the afternoon.
- Keep hydrated. It is important whenever, but more important when you are exposed, so drink plenty of water.