Having a stuffy nose may occur to you from time to time, especially when you have the cold or flu. This happens because the mucus membranes that line the nose are swollen, which could affect your sleep ( by making you snore ), hearing or even speech. Even though pharmacies can provide you with numerous types of medicine for it, the side effects can be bothering and, furthermore, your nose can get used to them and you will find no use for the drops sooner or later. However, natural remedies are available and much cheaper than whatever you would get at a drug store. Below you will find a selection of the best remedies for nasal congestion:
- Drink herbal tea. Even though it seems unreliable, almost any type of hot liquid might help. Ginger tea is the best, being both thermogenic and an expectorant.
- Eat, sniff or cook onion rings. The powerful scent will provide instant relief.
- To reduce the symptoms, dissolve 3-4 drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil in 1 cup of boiling water and inhale for a few minutes. Furthermore, as an alternative you can put a few drops on a cotton ball and inhale every once in a while.
- Take a hot bath or shower because the steam can be beneficial for the stuffy nose.
- Crush carome seeds and put them in a tied handkerchief, next to your pillow.
- Sniff some pepper; either black or red, its spiciness dilates the blood vessels.
- Add a bit of spice to your food so that your blood vessels from the nose will be stimulated as well.
- Heat apple cider in a pan and inhale the vapor for a few seconds. Repeat until you feel your nose is clear.