The commonly known ‘sore throat’ is the inflammation of the pharynx that causes a huge discomfort, making the ones experiencing it dread talking or even swallowing. This is commonly caused by catching a cold, the flu or a bacterial infection. However, many other environmental factors or that are strictly related to your lifestyle can cause a sore throat such as smoking, dry air, allergies, problems with your tonsils or simply talking too much and too loud. Luckily, there are many easy and effective home remedies that you can benefit from:
- Sage and salt can be combined with warm water in order to obtain a substance with which you will gargle 4 times a day for 10 minutes. These combinations are efficient in reducing inflammation, which is exactly what we want, right?
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially hot ones such as tea and soup. It is important to always stay hydrated, but now even more important and more beneficial, as it can help relieve the irritation.
- Hot lemon or lime juices are also effective in calming a sore throat. Don’t forget to add honey!
- Garlic has anti-bacterial properties, so place half a clove of garlic in your cheek. If you can stand the taste, you will benefit from the allicin and your sore throat will be gone.
- Take vitamin C three times a day, no matter what the cause of the sore throat is.
- A throat spray containing sage can be very effective in taming a sore throat in a matter of two hours time.
- Use an air humidifier in the place where you spend most of the time, as dry air might be a cause.
Even though a sore throat is a minor ailment, sometimes it can be a symptom of a more serious disease, so if the soreness persists check with your doctor.