People who eat regular meals and healthy snacks throughout the day are less likely to overeat and gain weight than people who skip meals or go for long periods of time without eating and then devour a pizza.
Here are a few healthy snacking ideas:
- Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery sticks and top with raisins.
- Banana ice: Peel several very ripe bananas, break them into 1-inch pieces, and freeze the pieces in a sealed plastic bag. Just before serving, whirl the pieces in the blender with a small amount of water or juice. Serve right away. Add berries for a different flavor or top with fruit or nuts.
- Healthy ice pops: Freeze fresh, unsweetened 100% juice in ice pop molds or ice cube trays.
- Whole-grain pita and hummus: Warm a pita in the oven on low, then cut it into small triangles. Dip it in a tasty, low-fat hummus. Hummus is available in yummy flavors like garlic and spicy red pepper. Hummus also makes a tasty dip for cut-up veggies.
- Happy trails mix: Combine 1 cup whole-grain toasted oat cereal with ¼ cup chopped walnuts and ¼ cup dried cranberries for a healthy trail mix.
- Fruit and yogurt parfait: In the bottom of each glass place approximately 1 inch of yogurt, then a layer of fruit (6 oz. blackberries, 1/2 cup mangos), another 1 to 2 inches of yogurt, and repeat. The top layer should a fruit layer. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve chilled.
- Bagel with peanut butter or smart balance butter