The raw food movement emerged in the 19th century but has only started being popular recently, along with the development of the Gerson Therapy. It is based on eating solely foods that have not been cooked over 116°F, which is considered the level at which the enzyme activity in the food begins to diminish. Enzymes are essential proteins that accelerate chemical reactions and preserving them can only improve your health. Furthermore, it is generally recommended to eat at least 5 servings of raw food or fruit daily, so increasing the amount definitely cannot do any harm. Here are a few reasons why eating raw food, or simply increasing the amount of raw vegetables and fruits eaten daily is beneficial:
- Raw foods are high in water ,unlike cooked vegetables which are more dehydrated.
- They contain phytonutrients, which are thought to be involved in protecting against chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- It eases the process of weight loss due to the fact that eating raw is perhaps the healthiest “diet” because of the high water content of raw foods.
- A substantial increase in energy and a general good mood can be visible after a few weeks of eating more raw foods.
- You increase the amount of fiber eaten daily, therefore lower the cholesterol level and help digestion.
- Raw vegetables are a good source of antioxidants, high in vitamin C, A and E, consequently preventing free radical damage.
- Avocados, almonds and olives provide essential fatty acids (the body cannot produce them) that are imperative for the well maintenance of the heart, skin and neurological health.
- You will glow. Literally. You will radiate health and that will be mostly visible on your complexion, which will seem younger and keep its healthy glow as long as you keep eating healthy.
- Eating raw is not expensive. Buying vegetables from the farmers’ market is not only healthier, but cheaper as well. And it can cost you even less if you put some effort into it and grow essentials in your own garden.