Basil, a plant frequently used in Mediterranean dishes, gives us more than its flavor. In fact, it has been used for centuries for its health properties. Here are just 10 of the many benefits of using basil:
1) Chew on basil leaves to find relief when having a cold or the flu. Since it is widely used in cough syrups, it is likely to tame your symptoms.
2) This natural anti-oxidant does what any anti-oxidant would do, which is fighting the free-radicals in your body, as well as preventing high levels of cholesterol from occurring and protecting against blood-vessel damage.
3) The oil obtained from basil leaves can be used to combat many bacteria that pose a potential threat and cannot be killed with regular antibiotics.
4) Rheumatoid arthritis can be calmed with the help of basil, due to the volatile oil called eugenol.
5) It is a valid source of vitamin C, K and vitamin A, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron.
6) Studies have shown that basil oil contains substances that help prevent aging and, generally speaking, age-related problems.
7) Being a good source of beta-carotene, it helps protect your epithelial cells from free radical damage, thus protecting against cancer as well.
8) It can improve the aspect of hair and skin, moisturizing thoroughly if basil oils are applied on wet skin and hair.
9) Basil provides aid to a challenged stomach, treating constipation, indigestion and flatulence.
10) Its calming effects can be revealed if basil oil is used in aromatherapy. Depressed people and those facing regular migraines can benefit from its usage.
Furthermore, basil is a member of the mint family, so growing it in your herb garden is not as tricky as you think. By doing this you will always have fresh basil to add in your pasta and benefit from the healthiness it provides us with.